Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hunkered Down.




This picture has nothing to do with the following post... but I think it's funny

Well, our little snow day took quite a turn and we have ended up having a snow week.
When I say we, I don't mean Drew and myself as you would suppose. Nope, I mean B&C Hamric (our adopted children for the week) and myself.
I was with our friends the Hamrics all day on Tuesday and then we had awesome Chili with our community group that night and went home. The roads were slushy and wet and everything was starting to drip and I was so disappointed our snow storm was so short-lived. The weathermen were promising more to come but all we had was rain. It was just gross.
I barely slept a wink (again) and woke up at 5 on Wednesday and alas, all was still wet and slushy. I was so disappointed, I was on the verge of mad. I stomped back into the bedroom and got in bed muttering things about the stupid lame boring storm and how weathermen were so unreliable and Drew was laughing in his sleep at his outrageous wife and her love for dramatic storms, especially snow. I went back to sleep.
Drew met with his dudes that morning and when they were done he woke me up (about 730-8) and told me to look outside. It was snowing cottonballs outside and everything had re-frozen. HOW WEIRD! It was in the 20s all night and yet nothing froze and then at "sunrise" everything refreezes and snow and ice resume. Weird. I was ecstatic to say the least.
B. Hamric was already over b/c he's one of the dudes and so he went and retrieved his beautiful bride from their apartment b/c she is one of the dudettes and they had no power.
So the Lewis and Hamric households got to hang out again all day and this time Drew got to join us b/c the roads were so bad and the power was out all over town and ERAC had burst a pipe or something. ERAC never closes... so this was a huge blessing.
The guys finished the trim in the kitchen (forgot to upload the pictures) and it looks AMAZING... I mean really, I am SO IMPRESSED with them! Today we need to get in there and paint it but we were getting stir-crazy.
C. and I bundled up (pics to come) and trekked to the local Kroger who was running on generators to get grub for us all and it was quite the adventure. We splurged and bought a few extra treats for the storm (I mean it is a special occasion)... like double stuffed oreos! There are power lines down all up and down the street and about a foot of snow all over the place. Trees are cracking and falling as well to the char-grin of many street-parked cars. We had our neighbor over for soup at lunch, it was basically a party at our place all day!
B&C spent the night and here we all are again today. They are both teachers and the power is out and all of our schools are cancelled for the whole week. Bummer is, they have to make it up later... boo. I'm not sure what the seminary will do with the whole first week of classes missed. weird.
Louisville has really taken a beating this year between Ike and this snow storm... we missed a week of class for each. I really don't mind though b/c I feel much more prepared for classes now... I have time to clean my house, I've started all my homework, taken down the Xmas tree (I leave it up as long as possible!) and had a lot more time with friends we missed over the break! It's funny that our little house, with all its issues and draftiness has never lost power through all the drama and has become a safe place for our friends to crash. We truly are blessed and grateful for the provisions.
Well, since I am lame and forgot to upload our house and snow pics.... here are some pics to make you feel warm and happy again..... enjoy



No comments: