Sunday, October 11, 2009

Random Thoughts

1. What do you call the shoes you wear when you are doing something athletic? Growing up I have always called these shoes... tennis shoes. I had no idea until middle school or so that the first word, before shoe, was tennis... as in the sport... as in these shoes were designed for people who play tennis. I never played tennis, minus hitting a few balls on the garage door, and really there are a lot of people in the world who will never play tennis... so why do so many people call them tennis shoes? Why did tennis shoes in particular get to become the genre instead or walking or running, which are way more common. I usually call my athletic shoes running shoes now, because that's what they are... and yet since I've gotten them I've walked in them 99% more than I've run in them (excuse being pregnancy). So should I call them walking shoes? All in all, I've decided to make up a new word that solves my problem... "tenishoe"... that is what I thought I was saying all these years anyway and it will refer to all athletic shoes, regardless of actual sport intended.

2. I didn't think I was ready to have Stella yet... I know that I'm not, actually. But today Drew's best friend and our first real married friends (as in they and we were married and hung out), the cool kids who lived in New Zealand, announced that they were in labor. Instantly I was stunned and thrilled. She isn't due until late October and has already been in labor for over 24 hours! So, I was excited, wanted the details, and thrilled for them and then in an instant something flooded over me and I just started crying. I was so sad all the sudden that Stella hadn't come yet and that I am last of every one I know to have their baby. It was so weird. As quickly as the tears started, they vanished and I was fine and we had breakfast. weird. All in all, despite the fact that I'll never be fully prepared, we are chanting for Stella to at least get moving... who knows, maybe she is already! But since she's waited this long she might as well wait until after Drew's work dinner party on Monday.. the boss is treating us all to dinner in honor of Stella (and closing an hour early!)... yay for free dinner!
(we did set up the pack n play and pack a little more just in case she wants to follow Baby D's lead!)

3. We need hand-me-downs. If you know of any one who has 0-3 or 6-9 month WARM girl clothes, please tell them we would love to have, borrow or purchase them! As we packed some things for SJ today we realized, this girl has mostly short sleeved onesies and dresses in the 0-3 month range b/c no one knew it would be this cold in October! We don't have a single pair of pants for our newborn! So, Monday I am hitting up the Columbus Day sales in the baby departments for some fleece items and more long sleeves and pants. But if you know of any one who has these items or especially a baby coat/ snow suit... we would LOVE to get some hand-me-downs.

4. Most nights I wake up several times and I lay in bed, trying to go back to sleep, and often I blog in my head. Then, when Drew has days off, I am usually awake an hour or two before he is ready to stir... I hate to wake him b/c he never gets enough sleep during the week... so I lay there, waiting to cuddle and blog in my head. Most of these are random, like #1 above, and then I decide they aren't worth posting and move on... today I finally decided to let the randomness go unhindered and now I can't even remember all the ones I thought of this morning! ugh!

If I think of any more tonight, I'll let you know! =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I can't believe E & J are in labor!! (could have had said baby by now - can't wait to hear!!)
you are so cute! we love your randomness and riting!!
sl